When water spots start appearing on the ceiling, it’s a good sign that it’s time to take action. Although, it’s not always obvious what action that should be.
Sometimes, a water spot can be the result of moisture that is coming from more than one location. And, there could be even more going on than just a single roof leak.
Neglecting moisture spots is almost always a bad idea. Whenever moisture meets the structural elements of your home or commercial building (i.e., wooden framing, supports, or drywall), there’s always the potential for mold or rot to set in. So, even though you might be ok with a few brown stains on the ceiling, those are actually indications that immediate steps need to be taken in order to avoid seriously expensive fixes down the road.
Water’s Journey from Your Roof to Your Ceiling
Here in Colorado, heavy rains, wind, and hail can work together to wreak havoc on roofing systems, no matter how well-built or newly installed they might be.
After significantly extreme weather hits our state, it’s a safe bet that roofs are going to become compromised. Sometimes, leaky roofs will reveal themselves immediately; this is actually a blessing in disguise. Thankfully, the leak is big enough to reveal itself sooner than a slow, insidious leak that could cause a lot of damage before you notice the telltale moisture spots.
If you notice water spots on your ceiling shortly after a big Colorado storm, consider yourself lucky!
In other cases, a small, slow leak can take days or weeks to take the form of spots on the ceiling. Furthermore, the location of the moisture spot might even be located far away from the actual roof leak itself. This is because water doesn’t always drip directly down in homes or commercial buildings. It will take the path afforded to it by rafters, floorboards, and roof panels, sometimes sending it dozens of feet away from where the moisture spot appears.
The Most Common Culprits of Water Damage
After you’ve detected water spots on the ceiling, it’s time to do some detective work to determine the source of the water intrusion. This isn’t always easy!
There are companies that specialize in leak detection. You could hire them to conduct an on-site visit, which could cost you upfront before any actual repair work is performed. Or, you could take the DIY route and look for the leak yourself.
Typically, water spots on the ceiling come as a result of:
- Condensation buildup. This isn’t so much a problem here in Colorado, but it can happen. If you have an appliance that generates condensation, check to be sure that it’s draining effectively.
- Leaky plumbing. This is very common. Plumbing joints, seals, washers, and fittings will all fail given enough time. But, accessing and diagnosing the full network of your home’s plumbing might require the assistance of a plumber.
- Roof Leaks. This is probably the single most common cause of moisture spots in homes and commercial buildings. A professional roofing company like A-to-Z Roofing & Exteriors will be able to quickly locate the roof leak and repair it before the next storm hits.
After you’ve found and fixed the source of the leak, you’re still going to have to deal with the damage that was caused to the ceiling.
Fast and Easy Ceiling Restoration
To remediate water-damaged ceilings, take these steps:
- Mix one cup of bleach with three cups of water, and gently dab this solution onto the affected area. This will help to remove any remaining grease, dirt, or dust. Don’t forget protective eyewear for this!
- Allow the bleach to do its work for a few minutes, and then rinse the area with some water from a spray bottle. Then, allow to dry.
- Once the area is dry, it’s time to paint. If you have a textured ceiling, it’ll be easier to apply the paint with a sprayer. For smooth ceilings, a roller should work fine. Applying two coats of paint should be sufficient to return your ceiling back to a normal condition.
Need Professional Help? Contact A-to-Z Roofing & Exteriors
There’s no shame in admitting that you don’t have the skills to repair a complex roof leak. That’s what we’re here for!
Don’t let water damage from a roof leak do more harm than it absolutely has to. Take action immediately, and call in the professionals from A-to-Z Roofing. We’ll locate the leak, fix the roof, and ensure that there isn’t any other damage that you might not be aware of.