Colorado hail storms have the potential to cause significant damage to commercial and residential property. And, when you factor in high winds and heavy snowfall that often accompany hailstorms, the ensuing damage can sometimes be extreme.
Because our climate can be so tumultuous and weather events can happen seemingly out of nowhere, you may not know exactly what to do in the wake of a severe hail storm. To protect your property investment, there are some steps you can take immediately following a serious weather event like a hail storm. Taking these steps will help to ensure that any losses you sustain are accounted for and reimbursed by your insurance company.
After the Storm Passes, Do These Five Things
When it’s safe to venture outside to assess damage, do so by following these steps:
- Get your camera and walk the property. Serious hail storms have the capacity to destroy trees, sending large, heavy tree branches crashing down onto whatever happens to be below. In addition to any obvious damage caused by the hail itself, look for instances of falling debris damage.
Document everything by taking pictures and uploading them to a secure location within the cloud. Alternatively, many insurance companies offer apps that can be used to accomplish this.
Don’t forget to pay special attention to gutters, downspouts, flashing, and other components of your water management system.
- Clean up broken glass and remove potential hazards. Shattered windows, felled tree branches, and other remnants of the storms damage can be potentially dangerous. Take care when returning your property to a safe condition.
Be sure to complete this step after you have documented the damages as described in step one.
- Put a temporary stop to roof leaks. Especially harsh hail storms can cause enough damage to the roof that leaks may begin to form. If this happens, you should contact A to Z to perform temporary repairs to prevent additional damage that may not be covered by insurance. Many insurance policies require the insured to take steps to mitigate further damage after a loss occurs. Not doing so could start the countdown to mold, wood rot, and other costly problems down the line that may not be covered.
- Get in touch with your insurance company(ies). Generally speaking, it’s best to get the ball rolling on your insurance claims as soon as possible after the storm hits. After you’ve assessed the damage and ensured that your property is adequately protected from water leaks, contact your auto and home insurance companies and start the claims process immediately.
Remember that for automobile insurance, virtually all comprehensive coverage plans have coverage clauses that are specific to hail damage. So, if you have comprehensive auto coverage, any hail damage done to your vehicle should be fully compensated for (after your deductible, of course).
- If there is roof or exterior damage, contact A-to-Z Roofing & Exteriors for an on-site evaluation. This could be the most important step you take after a hail storm. Most home and business owners don’t think to partner with a roofing company before meeting with their insurance adjuster. This is not advisable.
Often, the insurance adjuster doesn’t have a background in roof repair, and he or she may not be able to locate areas of damage that a trained roofing technician might be able to identify. To make sure your roof and exteriors are completely evaluated for the damage caused by the hail storm, make sure A-to-Z Roofing is part of the conversation right out of the gate.
Returning to Life after the Storm
In the wake of a destructive hail storm, it can feel overwhelming trying to figure out what to do to get things back to the way they were before the weather hit.
A-to-Z Roofing & Exteriors can help. Our team knows exactly what actions to take to protect home and business owners from missteps throughout the insurance claim process.
It all boils down to taking action sooner rather than later. Time is of the essence when it comes to returning things to normal after a Colorado hail storm.
When you need a qualified, insured, proven roofing and exteriors expert in your corner as you work to put the pieces back together after a hail storm, we’ll be here.
Mother Nature can be beautiful and inspiring here in Colorado, or she can be destructive and relentless when it comes to inclement weather. For expert Colorado roofers who know the insurance ‘game’, A-to-Z Roofing is the name to know!